Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bird Overboard!

Three days ago, I decided to go ahead and give the begonias a little water--heck, I thought maybe the baby birds might need a drink, too, although I was conflicted about that.

I took down the hanging pot and lightly sprinkled some water into it, but the babies were so still that I got a little worried. I sprinkled a little more water, putting a few drops directly onto the birds.

"DH," I said, "I'm worried about the babies. They're so still! Do you think they're okay?"

"They're probably just playing dead," he replied. "I'll touch them with a pencil eraser and make sure."

Feeling conflicted, I watched him gently touch one of the babies, when all of sudden it flew out of the nest and onto the patio! "Oh, no!" I cried. "Is he okay?" On the third try, DH managed to scoop up the fledgling and place it back into the nest.

Turns out that it was just a test drive. This afternoon, we watched one of the babies (probably the impetuous one from the other day) take its first, halting flight as proud Mom and Dad watched. Then another came out as his parents cheered him on.

There are two more babies to go. That nest was crowded!

No comments: