Friday, June 27, 2008

$100 Tomatoes are Worth It!

Even though I tried to destroy the plants by burning them with calcium chloride, they are still rewarding us with some fruit. I told DH I don't care if we never get another tomato, we should still plant again next year. We invested a good bit in the tomatoes (and the insect repellent), but it's worth it. We've had so much fun seeing and trying all the different varieties of heirloom tomatoes--and this year, we've had the added benefit of no salmonella!


Today I've been at the "tomato bar," taste-testing the different varieties--except I'm not always sure what variety I'm tasting. The plants had gotten so big that their stems overlapped each other--there's one plant with a stalk that stretches over two other Earthboxes--and it's hard to see what's what.

Perhaps if I don't try to murder them next summer, the harvest will be even better!

No comments: