Monday, February 2, 2009

Wii Unfit


When we were visiting Statman in November, we played around with their Wii console, including the Wii Fit games, and after Christmas, I decided to order one for myself.

It came in about 10 days ago, and since I already had my Mii configured, I went straight to the assessment portion of the game, wherein it figures your weight and BMI, gives you a balance test and determines your "fitness age."

Well, I do a cardio workout with weights 2 or 3 times a week, and I'm at or below my ideal weight, so imagine my surprise when it told me that I was unbalanced and jokingly asked if I tripped over my own feet a lot. Then it announced that my fitness age was 4 years greater than my actual age! This was disappointing news!

Since I was coming down with an upper respiratory bug that's been zooming around town, I decided that perhaps I wasn't at my best that day.

DH and I both battled a nasty cough for a week. Yesterday, I was feeling a little better, and I got evaluated again and did some of the strength training, balance and aerobics exercises. This time, my fitness age was 13 years below my actual age! Wow--that's an improvement!

The Wii did tell me, though, that I'd gained .2 lbs. while I'd been sitting around coughing, and it still said that balance wasn't exactly my forté. Oh, well. With such humble beginnings, I have lots of room for upward movement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you've been under the weather. Let me know how the Wii Fitness works out. We thought about buying it for ourselves at Christmas. But if you're unbalanced, I'm hopeless. Do you remember that I managed to work my way into a PE class for the fitness challenged our freshman year?

TS said...

Nope, I didn't remember that! And I'd love to know the name of that class! I had a long histoire of trying to get out of PE activities, though. A couple of friends and I actually played badminton in Junior high to get out of playing any more traditional sporting activities.

Finally, one day I picked up a tennis racquet, and I thought, "This is the first type of sports that I've ever felt comfortable doing!"