Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I Was Just Sleepy

On Good Friday, we took the grandkids to our church's Tenebrae service. It was just beautiful, with some lovely flute music provided by DH, along with other music from our church's very best vocalists and instrumentalists.

I'm not sure I've ever been to a Tenebrae service before. We sang some of the beautiful old hymns like "Oh, Sacred Head, Now Wounded," and after each scripture reading, acolytes extinguished one of the 12 candles representing the 12 disciples. In the middle of the service, DH played a haunting Celtic piece with a wonderful young soloist.

Finally, just before the service ended, the two ministers took the large "Christ candle" from the sanctuary, which was now completely dark. DH closed the service by playing "Were you There," a capella. It was the best Easter season service ever. Of course, I am biased. But people weren't even speaking as they left.

I asked the 8-year-old, "Hey, buddy, were your eyes closed because you were feeling reverent?" "No," he replied. "I was just sleepy."

No comments: