Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Remembering Pearl Harbor

As a young sailor, my dad was stationed at Pearl Harbor at the time of the attack on 7 December 1941, but family members always said that he wasn't on board ship at the time. Now I know why–maybe.

This week, Ancestry.com offered free searches of military records, and when I looked for my dad, I found records that seemed to confirm that he was assigned to the USS Sicard for the latter part of 1941. My uncle thought he was at the hospital, but I don't know if that's accurate.

Wikipedia says that the ship had entered the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard on 21 November 1941 and was under overhaul there when the Japanese attacked on 7 December. Personnel from the Sicard were dispatched to other ships to assist with returning fire on the attackers.

I guess I'll never have a complete picture of Daddy's involvement in that awful day, but I'm glad to find bits of information, and even the ship commander's report, online.

1 comment:

fifa-munzen said...

Ich denke, ich werde nie ein vollständiges Bild von Papas Beteiligung an diesem schrecklichen Tag, aber ich bin froh, Bits von Informationen und sogar Bericht der Schiffskommandanten zu finden, online.

fifa-munzen

FIFA Münzen