Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy National Punctuation Day!

Just wanted to take a moment to observe what we believe should be a global observance--National Punctuation Day!

It's a bit embarrassing to admit that, had The Roomie not alerted me, I would have let this momentous occasion go by unnoticed. Fortunately, she brought it to my attention just in time for me to purchase my Punctuation Products and listen to the Punctuation Rap.

One of the most difficult things about being a lifelong punctuation stickler is the isolation. As Lynne Truss observes in "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," serving as the punctuation police can be a lonely, lonely job. As she puts it, "While we look in horror at a badly punctuated sign, the world carries on around us, blind to our plight. We are like the little boy in The Sixth Sense who can see dead people, except that we can see dead punctuation."

So take time out of your day to think about the lowly semicolon, and enjoy the festivities.

No comments: